Baptism is the first sacrament celebrated in becoming a member of the Catholic Church.
The waters of baptism symbolize the mystery of a new life in Christ.
At Baptism, we celebrate and reflect on God’s unconditional love and welcome the baptized into our faith.
Under age 6
Congratulations! On your decision to have your child baptized at La Purisima. In your role as parent, you will serve as your child’s first teacher in the faith.
We look forward in helping you to bring your child into our church community.
These requirements are for those families bringing their children, under the age of six years. If your child will be over the age of six by the date you have selected for baptism, there will be other requirements to follow.
- At least one parent must be Catholic.
- Must be registered and active parishioners of La Purisima, we will need a copy of baby’s birth certificate.
- If parents are members of another parish, they must have a letter of permission from their Pastor before Baptism date is assigned.
- Both parents and the godparents must attend preparation class, which is offered at La Purisima. If members of another parish, bring pastor’s letter, and certificate of completion from baptismal prep class. Please provide all documents 10 days prior to baptismal date.
- Registration for baptism should be completed at least 2 months before desired baptism date so that we may help you in filling out all forms and enroll you with godparents in preparation class.
- Godparent must be a practicing Catholic in communion with the Church. If married, must be married in the Catholic Church, and bring a copy of the Marriage Certificate.
- Must be at least 16 years old, be a confirmed Catholic, practicing their faith, and willing to support in the faith formation of the child.
- Both the parents and the godparents must attend preparation class, which is offered at La Purisima. If members of another parish, bring pastor’s letter, and certificate of completion from baptismal prep class. Please provide all documents 10 days prior to baptismal date.
When are they held?
Baptisms are celebrated the first Sunday of the month at 2:00 p.m. All parents and godparents must be in the church no later than 1:45 to begin the celebration promptly at 2:00 p.m.
- When will I receive the baptism certificate?
You will receive it on the date of your child’s baptism.
- Do both Godparents need to be confirmed?
Yes, the Catholic Church requires that both godparents be confirmed.
- Do I have to bring my own candle?
Yes, we will not provide one for your child for the baptism sacrament.
- What is the fee for baptizing?
No cost for the sacrament of baptism but we would gladly accept a donation.
- Why do you only offer communal baptisms?
Baptisms are community celebrations for the entire parish.
- What if the dates listed don’t work in our schedule?
We do not schedule private baptisms.
Baptism Registration Form
Ages 6 – 14
Preparing for First Communion of Unbaptized Children in Elementary School.
If your child is at least six years old and has not yet been baptized, he or she will enter into the process called “Christian Initiation of Catechetical Age Children” often referred to as RCIC. They will be preparing to receive the three Sacraments (Baptism, Communion and Confirmation). It is a process of at least two years. This preparation requires that parents and sponsors also participate. Normally they attend classes with the children who are preparing themselves for the Communion and in the second year attend additional classes to better prepare for the other Sacraments (Baptism and Confirmation).
You can learn more from our Faith Formation page.